Download PDF here
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
One or more Qualified Operators to Lease/Operate Jensen’s Shipyard at
1293 Turn Point Road, San Juan Island, WA
The Port of Friday Harbor is soliciting proposals from qualified parties to enter into a lease to operate the Jensen’s Shipyard facility at 1293 Turn Point Road, Friday Harbor, WA. The Shipyard facility includes approximately two acres of developed waterfront, 7,000 square feet of mechanical, office and marine retail space, and a 35 ton travel lift. An additional 2.88 acres of undeveloped industrial property surrounding and adjacent to the facility is also available
I. Inquiry and Submittal Procedures
Any questions and/or inquiries concerning the Request for Proposal should be e-mailed, faxed or mailed to the contact listed below. All inquiries will be answered in writing, and any additional information will be distributed equally to all interested parties.
Due Date: November 22, 2017, no later than 3:00 p.m.
Contact: Todd Nicholson, Executive Director
Port of Friday Harbor, P.O. Box 889, Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Telephone: (360) 378-2688
Fax: (360) 378-6114
Tours of the facility are not available until further notice. Please direct any inquiries about the facility to Todd Nicholson.
Respondents shall submit two (2) hard copies to the contact listed above in a sealed envelope marked, “RESPONSE TO REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS, JENSEN’S SHIPYARD. It is the Respondent’s responsibility to ensure receipt of proposal at the specified location prior to the deadline. The Port is not responsible for lost, misdirected or submittals delivered after the deadline.
II. Background: Purpose
The Port of Friday Harbor is considering the purchase of Jensen’s Shipyard and Marina at 1293 Turn Point Road, Friday Harbor WA. The Port’s objective is to partner with one or more facility operators to maximize the economic and job creating potential of the site.
III. Rent Schedule
The Port of Friday Harbor recognizes the challenges of operating a shipyard facility and admires those special individuals willing to take risks to improve their individual lives and contribute to our community. The community of San Juan Island, our neighbors, and visitors all benefit from having a successful, local marine trades industry.
Our goal is to partner with an experienced marine trades operator to create a “Win-Win” for all stakeholders. Therefore, a Rent Schedule will be negotiated based on the business plan projections, tenant improvements, and investment in the facility and equipment.
IV. Sublease Assignment of Lease Restrictions
The Port of Friday Harbor will not permit the lessee to sublease or assign the leased portions of the facility
V. Partial Facility Lease Areas
The Port will consider proposals to lease portions of the facility.
- Undeveloped area(s).
- Office or mechanical building space.
- Lift and storage areas
- Other proposed configurations.
The evaluation of partial leases will be based on the best overall configuration for the long term economic development of the total site.
VI. Operations & Maintenance
The Port of Friday Harbor intends to lease the facility in good operating condition. It will be the responsibility of the lessee to make any improvements, subject to prior approval by the Port, and to operate and maintain the facility in compliance with all relevant federal, state and local codes, rules and regulations. The Port will consider proposals for joint or Port provided capital improvements based on the Port’s capital resources and the projected return on investment.
VII. Request for Proposal: Detail List
The response to the Request for Proposal should include the following information:
- Identify desired time period of lease and renewal options.
- Description of the concept planned for the facility services and operations.
- Include the days and hours the services will offered each week or season.
- Include a general business plan for the facility operations and describe any plans for expansion of services, advertising, or other factors that will contribute to the long term economic growth of San Juan Island.
- Describe the number and type of jobs the business plan envisions creating; include envisioned partner jobs or services and the local economic multiplier effects.
- Name, addresses and telephone number of the prospective lessee.
- Complete resume of prospective lessee and all principal personnel directly involved with the management and operation of the facility or services.
- Evidence of personal experience of the lessee and principal personnel with the management and operation of marine facilities or services.
- Financial statement of the prospective lessee indicating sufficient resources available for successful promotion, management and operations of the facility.
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three (3) references of individuals with direct knowledge of the experience of the lessee and principals involved in marine services management and operations.
VIII. Evaluation Criteria: Items of Importance
Criteria for evaluation will include:
Proposals will be evaluated on a combination short term financial impacts to the Port, long term win-win financial impacts to the operator and the Port, long term family wage job creation, and long term capital improvements to maximize the value of the site.
- Experience in successful marine trades management and operations
- Financial resources
- Strength of business plan
- Short and long term financial impact to the Port of Friday Harbor
- Increases to the economic development and family wage jobs on San Juan Island
- Maximizing the long term economic development value of the site
- Services offered and hours of operations
- Other factors deemed relevant by the Port
IX. Reservation of Rights
The Port of Friday Harbor reserves the right to modify this Request for Proposal at any time, waive any irregularities in submittals, reject any and or all proposals, negotiate with top-rated Respondent(s) and accept any proposal deemed to be in the best interest of the Port of Friday Harbor.
X. Right to Withdraw Proposals
Respondents may withdraw a proposal which has been submitted at any time up to the proposal closing date and time. To accomplish this, a written request signed by an authorized representative of the Respondent must be submitted to the Port of Friday Harbor. After withdrawing a previously submitted proposal, the Respondent may submit another proposal at any time up to the Request for Proposals closing date and time.
XI. Cost of Preparation of Proposal
The Port of Friday Harbor shall not be liable for any costs incurred in the proposal preparation, printing, interview, or negotiation process. All proposals submitted and not withdrawn pursuant to Section VII above become the property of the Port of Friday Harbor and will not be returned to the Respondent.